Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baby, Baby, Baby, oh yeah and other stuff

We find out in one week if we are having a boy, or a girl. And for those of you who don't know, I get kinda baby crazy. This is not necessarily a bad thing except that it turns into an all consuming passion of mine; buying things for the baby, making things for the baby, talking non-stop about the baby.(It tends to run in my family)To the extent that I don't give quite enough attention to the rest of the things in my life.

Really, I need a 12-step program for my baby addiction (insert octo-mom joke here)but instead I will gush about the 7 things I am most excited about with this little baby, and then try to focus on my daily life;
1. The smell of a newborn's head
2. A little child that can't move or talk back
3. when the baby yawns
4. comparing the little-ness to everyone's big-ness
(Malina's arm was as long as my Dad's finger)
5. breastfeeding and bonding with my little baby
6. watching the baby sleeping on Dave's chest
7. the teeny-tiny newborn clothes
(actually the girls were so small, when they were born they wore preemie clothes!)

Due to the impending arrival of another little Howard we were forced to look at our finances yet again, and decide what would be beneficial for all of us. Starting from the top, the most expensive being our rent. We live in a small-ish 2 bedroom apt. in a town we really like. Yes, we could get a bigger place but we feel quality is better than quantity. (I've lived in the ghetto, I'm not going back!)

Second on the finace hot sheet would be our cars. uuggh. Most financial experts would tell you not to buy a brand new car, economically, it's cheaper to do your research and just buy used. Unfortunately neither my husband, nor I are handy with a wrench and have had unreliable vehicles in the past. Paying a little more is a trade off for having a continually reliable vehicle. This is something we decided a long time ago not to feel too guilty about. Although, my favorite car is just about anything Toyota because, they are decently priced, easy to fix, and last a long time. So we did buy my car brand new but we plan on keeping it a long time. If our tax return is big enough we will be able to pay 95% of it off, and that would certainly help with the finances.

Third most expensive bill in our house? FOOD! Yes, feeding our family is actually quite expensive and no, it's not because I'm pregnant. Because our food bill is quite large and because there is more wiggle room in it than the first 2 bills it will be getting a lrg. chunk of my attention and creativity. But here are the problems with our food shopping and cooking:
- As a family, we want meat at EVERY meal
- as a cook I am not as creative as I would like to be
- finding simple, cheap recipes is not easy
- eating the same things over and over again
- I believe in buying quality food, organic if possible
- not enough time to prepare/ make food

I'm sure I am not the first person/woman/mom to ever have this problem but, in all honesty this is the first time I've ever put my full attention to it. So wish me luck! (I'm gonna need it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment